KrOn 2 is a free update.
List of new features
KrOn v2 includes 4 devices that adapt various scenarios and dsp cards
- KrOn 2 “Max”: includes DSP, V/Oct and Hz/V formats
- KrOn 2 : does not include Hz/V formats (only DSP and V/Oct, as Hz/V is mainly used for Korg MS20 and similar vintage synths).
- Mini-KrOn 2 a : lighter with only 1 32 steps sequencer, that will be enough for most setups. The T-Mix also includes 3 sources instead of 5.
- Mini-KrOn 2 b: a different shape to adapt screen of lower resolution (laptops, 19’ screens)
- Addition of a manual tempo, controllable by midi CC messages/controllers. Users can set the minimum and maximum tempo as they wish. The mid value of the pot (12 o’clock) will be the half of min/max bpm.
- Shuffle is common to the 32 and 8 steps sequencers, because shuffle has no effect on an 8 steps sequence (because it is not the steps that need to be moved to create the shuffle/swing effect).
- All sequencers can be played forward, backward, randomly.
- With the 32 steps sequencers, the forward/backward/random modes are available for each block of 16 steps. So a 32 steps sequence can begin “forward” and finish “randomly”, or other combinations
- 32 steps sequencers: AB / BA Play Mode, allowing to reverse the order of the 16 steps blocks
- Previous “Play mode” renamed “Pong” (sequential switching between blocks of 16 steps).
- New value “Null” (note 37) that send a digital “nothing”. This Null value allows summing 2 pitch sequencers together while avoiding transposition to the upper octave that happens otherwise (inside KrOn, it works a little bit like this c1+c1=c2, but c1+null=c1). This is useful when a second pitch sequencer is used in Random mode to add a note randomly to another sequence.
- Change of the internal engine to achieve “zero latency”. This opens the way to chaining several pitch or val sequencers. You can chain all pitch and val sequencers to achieve 64 or 128 steps easily. At the lowest speed each part of the quads will be repeated once, simulating 256 steps (256 steps is possible but KrOn only includes 4*32 steps sequencers, ie a maximum of 128 steps internally).
- Independent Retrigger mode: the Quad sequencer can be retriggered by the main gate, or by a manual button, or by external signals.
- New “Play” mode allowing users to switch manually between the 4 parts of the quad modulators. This allows to program sequences or modulators for verse, chorus, bridge etc, or variations to trigger at will.
LFO 1, 2 3
- New Pre-delay / fade in / fade out parameters, triggered by notes-on messages.
New T-Mix modulator
- Allows to mix all 5 LFOs + “something else” (“x” selector drop down menu), allowing t create ready to use patterns without monopolizing output slots.
Revised output section
- 57 color labels to match/differentiate the destination software or hardware, and make the outputs more obvious/organized.
- Output numbers on the front page and that will change according to the selected routing output.
- Revised Custom page with simplified labels.
- Auto-Gate of EG 1 & 2: less trigger sources, making more sense in usage, in order to save DSP resources.
- P1/P2 outputs: Slot 1 simplified to output Pitch and Val modulators only. Other modulators still available in other slots (no loss of possibilities)
- A1/A2 outputs: slot 3 is simplified for LFOs and Midi components (AT, Ctkf, controllers…), while other modulators are still available in other slots. No loss of possibilities.
- 8 steps sequencer (Pitch 3) did not save correctly in presets. Corrected.
- The 16 A/B button (selection between 32 and 16 steps modes) now saved in presets.
- On Mini-KrOn, outputs 2 and 3 actually change their position on screen depending on the selected output routing.
- Rework of many parts of the UI, for better/cleaner graphics and labels.
Check the videos below to see KrOn in action. You will find more information, audio and video demos on KrOn’s page.